NOTE: As of March 27, 2018, we are no longer accepting applications for this position.
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Target Start Date: February 1, 2018
Salary Range: $90,000 -$110,000 per year (depending on experience)
Benefits: Vision, dental, & medical insurance; 403(b) retirement savings plan; generous vacation policy; parental leave; long-term disability; employee assistance program
Level: Mid-level to senior
At Democracy Works, we believe voting should fit the way we live. To that end, we build technology for both voters and election administrators that simplifies the process to ensure that no voter should ever have to miss an election. Our team is reaching for a moonshot goal of 80 percent voter turnout. Over the past two years we have laid the groundwork to reach this goal, helping voters connect to a more modernized election system through the institutions they interact with in their daily lives.
TurboVote, our first service, helps voters register, stay registered, and cast a ballot in every election, from municipal to national. TurboVote signed up its millionth voter in 2016 by building the largest college, nonprofit, and corporate coalition in the country, including more than 300 campuses, companies like Starbucks, Univision, Facebook, Google, Snapchat, and dozens more. We also helped voters around the country find their polling place information through the Voting Information Project. Its data had 123 million impressions in 2016, and more than 11 million voters looked up where to vote on GetToThePolls.com. To scale our impact and reach every voter, we’re establishing an Election Technology Cooperative to provide affordable, voter-centered technology to election administrators. And Ballot Scout helps election administrators track absentee ballots through the mail, providing transparency in the vote-by-mail process and making it easier to follow up when things go awry.
As the Finance and Human Resources Director, you will report directly to the CEO, assisting with various executive functions while overseeing your own portfolio of responsibilities. You’ll also be overseeing the work of the Democracy Works Administrative Director as that work relates to our finance and human resources portfolios.
- plan, coordinate, and execute the budget-development process (current budget size: more than $4 million)
- oversee work portfolio of outside accountants and bookkeepers, including accounting reports and schedules for annual 990, audit, and review
- oversee maintenance of business models for Democracy Works and its various programs, including annual modeling of hiring and revenue scenarios
- manage financial forecasting and cash flow
- oversee timely, accurate monthly and annual close
- document, communicate, and manage staff on fiscal policies and procedures
- spearhead and oversee changes to accounts and classes in the accounting system as we move to project based accounting
- manage administrative director on finance-related work, including: accounts payable, accounts receivable, shared cost allocation, TRNA, quarterly tax reporting, annual compliance audit, and monthly financial reporting materials for the board of directors
- revise and implement hiring policies, support hiring managers, and ensure that our recruitment process brings in the candidates we need to grow effectively
- oversee the growth and implementation of diversity and inclusion policies
- professionalize organizational policies in support of all staff functions, including professional development and staff advancement
- manage Democracy Works Administrative Director on human resources-related work
Our administrative team also oversees office management and other non-program-related work to support running and scaling a nonprofit. You’ll be helping to support the work taken on by this team.
- energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and administration initiatives.
- a creative problem-solver with excellent judgment
- effective in negotiating across differences and resolving conflict
- an entrepreneurial team player who can multitask
- able to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- an exceptional oral writer, presenter, and interpersonal communicator
You have experience:
- mastering nonprofit accounting rules and GAAP standards (CPA license preferred)
- handling advanced financial functions, including: accounting & controls; compliance; reporting; budgeting; grants; financial modeling
- managing finances for a project or organization with at least $7 million in annual revenues
- strong knowledge of project-based accounting
- configuring and managing accounting software (QuickBooks Online preferred)
- training or mentoring other staff
- managing small teams and mentoring direct reports
Candidates should send a short email with resume, addressed to Seth, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Will work for democracy” to begin the application process. Please include how you found this job listing. We also encourage all applicants to state their preferred pronouns when applying for any job opening at Democracy Works. Qualified candidates who meet the above requirements will have the opportunity to complete an anonymized skills evaluation before we schedule an interview. Based on the application, evaluation results, interviews, and reference checks, one person will be selected for the position. Applications will be accepted and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Democracy Works is committed to diversity and inclusion in everything we do and aspires to have a team that’s representative of the voters we serve. When hiring, we practice proactive outreach to top talent that’s underrepresented in our sector (including Latinx, Black, AAPI, and Indigenous candidates), We conduct an anonymized skills evaluation, to reduce implicit bias and resume-dependency in our process. We're a woman-and gay-founded startup, and promote an inclusive culture that stands against racism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism (to name a few). To be explicit, we strongly encourage applicants of all races, ethnicities, political party associations, religions (or lack thereof), national origins, sexual orientations, genders, sexes, ages, abilities, and branches of military service. Feel free to contact email@example.com if you have any questions about our commitment to inclusion or about general hiring practices.