NOTE: As of January 31, 2018, we are no longer accepting applications for this position.
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Target Start Date: March 1, 2018
Salary Range: $48,000 - $60,000 per year (depending on experience)
Benefits: Vision, dental, & medical insurance; 403(b) retirement savings plan; generous vacation policy; paid parental leave; long-term disability; employee assistance program
At Democracy Works, we believe voting should fit the way we live. To that end, we build technology for both voters and election administrators that simplifies the process and ensures that no voter should ever have to miss an election.
These services are the work of 27 employees, located in eight states. Internal operations keep the entire company running, and we want to make sure we have the best team possible to keep our operations smooth.
As an office assistant, you’ll:
- use QuickBooks to enter bills, generate invoices, and keep client and vendor information current
- work with our partnerships team to track invoices and ensure they’re paid
- assist Democracy Works employees with human resource responsibilities
- manage our filing systems (both digital and paper), keeping them organized and up-to-date
- serve as an internal travel agent, helping with all travel arrangements for Democracy Works employees
- keep our Brooklyn headquarters stocked and organized
- exceptionally organized
- empathetic and creative in your approach to customer service
- passionate about getting details exactly right
- an excellent communicator, who can write warm and conversational emails without sounding too informal
You have experience:
- working in QuickBooks Online
- handling nonprofit accounting
- managing an office
This full-time position is based out of our Brooklyn headquarters.
To apply, send a resume and brief, informal introduction to Junie at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Will assist with democracy.” Please also include how you found this job listing. From there, we’ll send you a short practical exercise designed to test some of your problem-solving skills, which we’ll anonymize and then evaluate in a blind review. Candidates with strong responses to the practical exercise will go through interview rounds (up to two) with different members of our team who interact closely with this position. We’ll ask for references from our top finalist(s), then make an offer.
Democracy Works is committed to diversity and inclusion in everything we do and aspires to have a team that's representative of the voters we serve. When hiring, we practice proactive outreach to top talent that’s underrepresented in our sector (including Latinx, Black, AAPI, and Indigenous candidates). We conduct an anonymized skills evaluation, to reduce implicit bias and resume-dependency in our process. We're a woman- and gay-founded startup, and promote an inclusive culture that stands against racism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism (to name a few). To be explicit, we strongly encourage applicants of all races, ethnicities, political party associations, religions (or lack thereof), national origins, sexual orientations, genders, sexes, ages, abilities, and branches of military service. Feel free to contact email@example.com if you have any questions about our commitment to inclusion or about general hiring practices. Democracy Works posts all current career opportunities at democracy.works/careers.