UPDATE: As of June 19, 2017, we are no longer accepting applications for this position. Thank you for your interest!
Location: Preferably Brooklyn, N.Y.; Remote applicants within the U.S. welcome.
Target Start Date: July 10, 2017
Salary Range: $60,000 to $80,000 per year (depending on location and experience)
Benefits: Vision, dental, & medical insurance; 403(b) retirement savings plan; generous vacation policy; long-term disability; employee assistance program
At Democracy Works, we believe voting should fit the way we live. To that end, we build technology for both voters and election administrators that simplifies the process and ensures that no voter should ever have to miss an election.
The Voting Information Project (VIP) coordinates with state election offices to publish nationally-standardized information about where and how to vote—data that powers everything from Google’s polling place search to our own text message and email reminders to TurboVote users. The Data Associate will be a part of the VIP team, assisting with collecting, parsing, and assessing a nation’s worth of election data.
(Our other projects include TurboVote, which tracks a voter’s elections. We provide all the materials and information they need to get registered, stay registered, and cast a ballot in every election, from municipal to national—and we’ll even mail forms with an addressed, stamped envelope for the local election office. Ballot Scout helps local election administrators track absentee ballots as they travel through the mail, providing transparency in the vote-by-mail process and making it easier to follow up when things go awry.)
As the data associate for VIP, you’ll:
- Contribute to a dataset that has served millions (and hundreds of millions) of voters since 2008
- Build and maintain parsers, quality assurance checks, and data management scripts
- Collaborate with the Democracy Works developer team and Google engineers
- Communicate with county and state election officials about the availability, quality, and status of their data.
- Obsessively attentive to detail, having the ability to resolve issues within complex data sets
- Creative, in a way that recognizes the artistry in a well-wrought script parser
- Comfortable translating between jargon and vernacular
- Passionate about civic tech and open data
- Happiest working with a team
- Interested in both the macro and micro views of any project
You (hopefully) have experience:
- Handling large, complex datasets using some combination of data scripting (Python, SQL, R, others)
- In an agile development environment
- In politics, government, or non-profits
- On highly collaborative teams
- Providing customer support, or working with external partners
Salary is competitive and commensurate with education and experience. Democracy Works also offers a benefits package including health insurance, vacation, and a 403(b) retirement plan. We’re based in Brooklyn, N.Y. with remote employees across the United States, and we hope you’ll want to work from our Brooklyn office, though we’ll consider remote arrangements for the right candidate.
To apply, send a resume and brief, informal introduction to Franklin and Maria at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Will data for democracy.”
Democracy Works is committed to diversity and inclusion in everything we do and aspires to have a team which is representative of the voters we serve. When hiring, we practice proactive outreach to top talent that’s underrepresented in our sector (including Latinx, Black, AAPI, and Indigenous candidates), and we offer every candidate an anonymized skills evaluation, to reduce implicit bias and resume-dependency in our process. We're a woman- and gay-founded startup, and promote an inclusive culture that stands against racism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism (to name a few). To be explicit, we strongly encourage applicants of all races, ethnicities, political party associations, religions (or lack thereof), national origins, sexual orientations, genders, sexes, ages, abilities, and branches of military service. Feel free to contact email@example.com if you have any questions about our commitment to inclusion or about general hiring practices. Democracy Works posts all current career opportunities at democracy.works/careers.