UPDATED: As of March 17, 2017, we are no longer accepting applications for this position.
Location: Preferably Brooklyn, NY
Target Start Date: April 3, 2017
Salary Range: $38,000 to $48,000 per year (depending on location)
Benefits: Vision, dental, and medical insurance; 403(b) retirement savings plan; generous vacation policy
At Democracy Works, we believe voting should fit the way we live. To that end, we build technology for both voters and election administrators that simplifies the process and ensures that no voter should ever have to miss an election.
TurboVote, our first service, tracks an individual voter’s elections. We provide all the materials and information they need to get registered to vote, stay registered, and cast a ballot in every election, from municipal to national.
The TurboVote partnerships team recruits institutions of higher education, organizations, and companies to promote voter engagement to their students, communities, employees, and customers. The partnerships team also provides support to these partners as they use TurboVote. We work with hundreds of colleges, universities, nonprofit organizations, and companies to provide TurboVote to their constituents. Ensuring the strength of those relationships requires an attentive and dedicated staff.
In 2017, our goals in higher education are: 1) to invest in our existing partners (e.g., colleges, universities, and higher ed consortiums) by helping them build more comprehensive programs for voter engagement and; 2) to bring on new partners in a way that sets them up for substantial success using TurboVote. In order to accomplish these goals, we’re looking for a multitalented organizer, customer-service whisperer, and all-around people person to join our team.
As a Partnerships Associate for TurboVote, you will strengthen relationships with each of our partners, with a focus on higher education partners, and work closely with them to ensure they are using our technology strategically. You’ll become an expert in the world of higher education and cultivate a passion for promoting civic engagement. Also, as the primary contact for some of our partners, you will help train them on new features and continually gather feedback on how we can improve the platform. Finally, you may be responsible for renewing the TurboVote annual contract with the higher education partners you regularly work with and recruiting new partners to join our program.
- Execute an outreach plan to keep our partners engaged throughout the year and ensure that they’re prepared for elections as they approach.
- Build relationships with current and potential partners across the country, supporting their campus programs (you’ll spend a lot of time on the phone).
- Encourage partners to implement specific strategies and tactics that the TurboVote team has learned will drive higher TurboVote use and, ultimately, ballots cast.
- Maintain partner records so every partner gets the customized treatment they need.
- Collect feedback from partner organizations and use it to propose new training materials, best practices, and improvements to the TurboVote technology.
- Set ambitious annual voter engagement plans with our partners and follow up to provide the resources necessary to make them happen.
- Attend conferences around the country in order to bolster current partner relationships and recruit new partners
- A fantastic listener with an ability to read between the lines
- Enthusiastic about making cold calls and building new relationships
- Exceptionally organized
- Able to multitask and prioritize time effectively
- A leader who knows how to motivate others and inspire them to succeed
- Comfortable navigating bureaucracy and a foe of red tape
- Excited to learn sales strategies and have the confidence to close deals with prospective college partners.
- Proficiency in Excel
- Excellent customer/constituent service skills honed working with a diverse audience
- Worked for campaigns or grassroots organizations doing direct contact outreach
- Written in a wide variety of media, for example from email newsletters to how-to guides
- Preferred, but not required...have worked with CRM tools (we use Insightly) or databases
We’re based in Brooklyn, NY and Denver, CO, but we hope you’ll want to work from our Brooklyn office. Also, we imagine that the ideal candidate will be entry-level. That said, we’ll consider remote arrangements and/or a mid-level entry point for the perfect candidate.
To apply please closely follow these instructions:
1. Submit the following information for consideration to Mike at email@example.com with the subject “Will support democracy.”
a. A brief, informal email that includes why you’re interested in this position and how Democracy Works will better accomplish its vision (make voting a simple, seamless experience for all Americans so that no one misses an election) with you on staff.
b. A resume of relevant experience to the responsibilities and qualifications listed above.
Applicants who send an email that adheres to the instructions above will have the opportunity to complete a practical exercise. Applicants who submit a well-executed practical exercise will be asked to participate in an interview. Based on the applications, practical exercises, interviews, and reference checks, one applicant will be offered the position.
Applications will be accepted and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Democracy Works is committed to diversity and inclusion in everything we do and aspires to have a team that's representative of the voters we serve. When hiring, we practice proactive outreach to top talent that’s underrepresented in our sector (including Latinx, Black, AAPI, and Indigenous candidates), and we offer every candidate an anonymized skills evaluation, to reduce implicit bias and resume-dependency in our process. We're a woman- and gay-founded startup, and promote an inclusive culture that stands against racism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism (to name a few). To be explicit, we strongly encourage applicants of all races, ethnicities, political party associations, religions (or lack thereof), national origins, sexual orientations, genders, sexes, ages, abilities, and branches of military service. Feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about our commitment to inclusion or about general hiring practices.