*Updated February 21, 2017*
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Application Deadline: April 11, 2017
Salary Range: Salary commensurate with experience
Benefits: Vision, dental, & medical insurance; 403(b) retirement savings plan; generous vacation policy; long-term disability; employee assistance program
Position Level: Senior
Categories: Major gifts, corporate and foundation relations, prospect research, sales and marketing, special events
Position Overview: Democracy Works seeks a strong, high-energy, organized senior development officer with a creative, entrepreneurial spirit to attract, cultivate and manage support for this dynamic, fast-paced organization.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills. They will be dedicated, well organized, detail-oriented, and excited about working in a rapidly growing non-profit with a friendly but fast-paced environment.
Organizational Overview: Democracy Works’s mission is to increase participation across all elections by building technology for voters and election administrators. Your work is critical to achieving our moonshot goal: 80% turnout. Over the past 2 years we have laid the groundwork to reach this goal, helping voters connect to a more modernized election system through the institutions they interact with in their daily lives.
TurboVote, our first service, helps voters register, stay registered, and cast a ballot in every election, from municipal to national. TurboVote signed up its millionth voter in 2016 by building the largest college and corporate coalition in the country, including 194 campuses, companies like Starbucks, Univision, Facebook, Google, Snapchat, and dozens more. We also helped (basically) everyone find their polling place through the Voting Information Project. Its data had 123 million impressions in 2016, and over 11 million voters looked up where to vote on GetToThePolls.com. To scale our impact and reach every voter, we’re establishing an Election Technology Cooperative to provide affordable, voter-centered technology to election administrators. And Ballot Scout helps election administrators track absentee ballots through the mail, providing transparency in the vote-by-mail process and making it easier to follow up when things go awry.
It’s an exciting time to join our team. In February, a major foundation is announcing a $2.5 million matching grant to help kick-start our $10 million fundraising round. You will work hand-in-hand with our executive director, board, and existing donors to raise that round over the next 1-2 years, transform Democracy Works into a critical civic institution, and have a historic impact on our democracy.
Major responsibilities include working with the Executive Director and relevant program staff to accomplish the following:
- Develop innovative and timely fundraising strategies, marketing materials and proposals
- Cultivate, manage and support Democracy Works Executive Director and Program Staff’s relationships with key foundation, corporate, and individual donors/prospects
- Research, write, and cultivate support for grant proposals that seek general and program-specific funding
- Produce acknowledgements and reports for donations received from individuals and institutions
- Coordinate and edit proposals and reports generated by other team members
- Create and design fundraising decks
- Represent Democracy Works in meetings with important stakeholders and at fundraising and other outreach events
- Respond to donor and prospect requests for information
- Supervise creation and maintenance of funders’ records and mailing lists in database and hard-copy files
- Process gifts, track contributions and prepare financial reports as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Primary qualifications include:
- 5-7 years of nonprofit development experience strongly preferred. Varied experiences adding up to the equivalent will be considered (e.g. raising money as a nonprofit executive).
- Successful track record in short and long-term strategic planning and implementation, including recruitment and maintenance of past, present and potential donors
- Experience in every aspect of foundation, corporate, and individual fundraising
- Exceptional time management, project management, and organizational skills
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and across teams
- Ability to respond flexibly and graciously to unanticipated requests and assignments
- Confidence in representing the organization in a wide range of public forums
- Ability to build successful partnerships and negotiate effective agreements
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and strong database management skills
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. We’re based in Brooklyn, NY and Denver, CO. We hope you’ll want to work from our Brooklyn office, though we’ll consider remote arrangements for the perfect candidate.
Candidates should send a short email with resume, addressed to Seth, at email@example.com with the subject line “Will fundraise for democracy” to begin the application process. Qualified candidates who meet the above requirements will have the opportunity to complete an anonymized skills evaluation (see below for why we do this) before we schedule an interview. Based on the application, evaluation results, interviews, and reference checks, one person will be selected for the position.
Applications will be accepted and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Democracy Works is committed to diversity and inclusion in everything we do and aspires to have a team which is representative of the voters we serve. When hiring, we practice proactive outreach to top talent that’s underrepresented in our sector (including Latinx, Black, AAPI, and Indigenous candidates), and we offer every candidate an anonymized skills evaluation, to reduce implicit bias and resume-dependency in our process. We're a woman- and gay-founded startup, and promote an inclusive culture that stands against racism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism (to name a few). To be explicit, we strongly encourage applicants of all races, ethnicities, political party associations, religions (or lack thereof), national origins, sexual orientations, genders, sexes, ages, abilities, and branches of military service. Feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about our commitment to inclusion or about general hiring practices.