UPDATE: As of November 25, we are no longer accepting applications for this position.
At Democracy Works, we believe voting should fit the way we live. To that end, we build technology for both voters and election administrators that simplifies the process and ensures that no voter should ever have to miss an election.
TurboVote, our first service, tracks an individual voter’s elections. We provide all the materials and information they need to get registered, stay registered, and cast a ballot in every election, from municipal to national—and we’ll even mail forms with an addressed, stamped envelope for the local election office. Ballot Scout helps local election administrators track absentee ballots as they travel through the mail, providing transparency in the vote-by-mail process and making it easier to follow up when things go awry. We also work with the Pew Charitable Trusts and Google to ensure that the Voting Information Project’s data is up-to-date and ready from one election to the next.
The Democracy Works partnerships team recruits institutes of higher education, organizations, and local governments to promote voter engagement to their students and members and provides support to these partners as they use our technology. We work with hundreds of colleges and universities and more than a dozen nonprofit organizations to provide TurboVote to their constituents.
In 2016, our goals in higher education are: 1) to invest in our existing partners (i.e., colleges, universities, and higher ed consortiums) by helping them build more comprehensive programs for voter engagement and; 2) to bring on new partners in a way that sets them up for substantial success in using TurboVote. In order to accomplish these goals, we’re looking for a multitalented organizer, customer-service whisperer, and all around people-person to join our team.
As a Partnerships Associate for TurboVote, you will strengthen relationships with each of our partners and work closely with them to ensure they are using our technology strategically. You’ll become an expert in the world of higher education and cultivate a passion for promoting civic engagement. Also, as the primary contact for some of our partners, you will help test and train partners on new features as we improve the platform. Finally, you will be responsible for renewing the TurboVote annual contract with the higher education partners you regularly work with and may close deals to bring on new partners.
- Execute an outreach plan to keep our partners engaged throughout the year and ensure that they’re prepared for elections as they approach.
- Build relationships with current and potential partners across the country, supporting their campus programs (you’ll spend a lot of time on the phone).
- Maintain partner records so every partner gets the customized treatment they need.
- Collect feedback from partner organizations and use it to propose new training materials, best practices, and features.
- Set ambitious annual voter engagement plans with our partners and follow up to provide the resources necessary to make them happen.
- A fantastic listener with an ability to read between the lines
- Enthusiastic about making cold calls and new friends
- Exceptionally organized, able to prioritize time effectively and multi-task
- A leader who knows how to motivate others and inspire them to succeed
- Comfortable navigating bureaucracy and a foe of red tape
- Excited to learn sales strategies and have the confidence to close deals with prospective college partners.
You have experience:
- Working with CRM tools (preferably Insightly) and proficiency in Excel
- Providing excellent customer/constituent service for a diverse audience
- Working for campaigns or grassroots organizations doing direct contact outreach
- Writing in a wide variety of media, from email newsletter to how-to guides
Salary is competitive and commensurate with education and experience. Democracy Works also offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance and vacation. We’re based in Brooklyn, NY and Denver, CO, and we hope you’ll want to work from our Brooklyn office–though we’ll consider remote arrangements for the perfect candidate.
To apply, send a resume and introduction to Matt and Katy at email@example.com with the subject “Will support democracy.”
We are inspired by the idea of building an awesome and truly diverse team, so we strongly encourage applicants of all races, colors, political party associations, religions (or lack thereof), national origins, sexual orientations, genders, sexes, ages, abilities, and branches of military service. Feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about our commitment to diversity or about general hiring practices.